Thursday, 4 July 2013

Why I'm Not Writing YA Anymore

I woke up this morning with the knowledge that things are going to change. I've been writing stories for only a couple of years now, and only since last August have I become more invested in my interest to write a novel. And I did write one. Last November during NaNoWriMo I wrote Unbroken. I've completely shelved that now and I'm planning a complete rewrite.
Since then, I've written thousands of words for a couple other novels, and I think my latest project, Harley, is going to get canned and also rewritten. 

You see, I'm still finding my way as a writer and rather then plug along in a genre where I feel completely out of place, I'm not going to try and force myself to fit in anymore. I really wanted to write in they Young Adult genre, but now, I'm positive that's not where I'm meant to write. I feel somewhat like a square peg trying to stuff itself in a triangle's hole. I just don't fit. 

I have some killer ideas for books, and come hell or high water, I will write them. Writing is the only thing I like to do. It's the only thing I'm remotely good at, so there is no way I'm ever giving up. I'm just going to be true to my talent and let it do what it wants to do, rather than trying to force it to do things that it doesn't want to do. 

You see, my stories don't really ever start out in the YA genre naturally. I want to write YA, so after I get my idea, I change it so it will fit in that genre and I think that is where my problem is. I'm not being true to myself. So to hell with YA! I still love reading it, but I just don't think I have it in me to write it. And you know what, I'm okay with that. I see this not as a failure, but as a turning point. Maybe one day I'll write a YA book, but if it never happens, I'm okay with that too. 

So, I guess I'd better go. I have work to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment